Fred's feud

a little blog chronicling the journey...

9:07 PM

A New Start & What Came Before

Posted by (^_^) ♥

I've started this blog just as I've started anew on my weight loss journey.

I have tried numerous diets and clearly nothing has worked for me yet. January 3, 2008 I joined Weight Watchers, a few days after I joined the gym (Goodlife) determined to stick with it. I did fairly well and stuck with the WW program until June-ish and continued with the gym about 4-5 times a week. I got to the point where if I missed a day at the gym I'd get antsy and almost crave a workout. That had to be the best I've ever been. But then my health went awry....here's how it all played out:

August 10, 2008 following my best friends wedding I found myself curled up in the fetal position on my bathroom floor for 14 hours and realized it might be time to get myself to the hospital. I'd had similar pains earlier that month while I'd been on holidays at my family's cottage but my parents convinced me it was heartburn, which I couldn't believe it was, but I just stopped telling them about it.

So back to the eve of August 10. After spending couple hours sitting in the emergency waiting area doubled over in pain and puking my guts out my only companion had to leave (she had work in the morning). Another hour or so later I got taken into an examination room, where again I waited to see a doctor. Finally after seeing the doctor they tell me I'm going to need to have surgery to remove my inflamed gallbladder...BUT I would have to wait SIX WEEKS! Fun times!

The surgeon told me that I was not to exercise until two months following the surgery because I could impede my gallbladder from "calming" and that the B.R.A.T. (Bananas Rice Applesauce & Toast) diet was to be my new best friend. He actually said "if it tastes good, don't eat it." Boooooo!

So between the no exercise, B.R.A.T. diet and the just plain overall crappy feeling I gained back everything that I had lost in the six months I'd worked so hard. Blech, if that isn't a kick in the pants.

March 2009 rolls around and I decide yep ok time to get back to it full speed. So i rejoined Goodlife (canceled my membership when I was sick) and a few weeks later I signed up for Weight Watchers again.

This time around I was hitting the gym 4-5 times a week for 2 - 2.5 hrs at a time; I'd recently moved and the nearest Goodlife was so much better than the last that I'd attended. The downside this time around was that the Weight Watchers group nearest to me wasn't as good as the one previous. The members were older, the discussions less interesting and overall not very motivating. It was almost like sitting in the principal's office for 45 mins every Saturday morning.

October 1, 2009 will officially be the first day of my new regime. I plan on taking what I have learned from all the past diets I've tried (South Beach, Weight Watchers, Fat Smash Diet, etc) and combine them in a manner that works for me. There were bits from all of these diets/plans that worked for me so if I put them all together I think I'll do OK.

I'm also going to get back to the gym more regularly. Because I work full time and taking classes in the evenings (and some weekends) going to the gym hasn't worked in as a steady schedule, I only get there maybe twice a week. But I've decided I will got at least three times a week until school is over and go from there.

The purpose of this blog is for me to be able to track my progresses, my trials, my goals, my everyday on this journey. I've decided that the ME in my life is what's important right now. I have to learn to focus on me and what's going to make me happy and what I can do to make it all happen.

So here I go, jumping into the pool fully dressed, head first with fingers crossed. Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment